Sunday, February 7, 2010

Getting Back to Work

Yesterday was one of those glorious spring-like winter days that we get every now and then.  The garden hummingbird was out and about and running the garden.  He (or she) ran another hummingbird off and I think I irritated him because he dive bombed me a couple of times when I was in his favorite part of the garden.  Nothing excites me more than having butterflies and hummingbirds in my garden - it makes me feel like I'm doing something right. 

Not wanting such a beautiful day to go to waste, I decided that I would take this opportunity to work in my garden.  I was expecting that it was going to be tough going as I didn't spend anytime looking after my garden last year and it shows.  Happily, I found that pulling weeds and chopping back the over-growth wasn't that hard and I got a lot done.  It felt good to get out there and work.  I saw lots of signs that spring is on it's way.  I saw lots of new growth pushing it's way through the dirt. A new addition to my garden are these little white flowers - Snowdrops.  They're "volunteers" as I didn't plant them.  Each year I get these little suprises in the garden - lillies, scilla, forget-me-knots, foxgloves and those cute little orange poppies.  Most of the gardeners I know will pull out these plants but not me  - I like the idea of a natural garden and treat them as wildflowers.  Pretty soon I'll have tulips and daffodils galore - and I'll be able to see them!  Of course, this morning I'm feeling a little achey and I have been reaquainted with muscles I forget I had. 

One of the things I like about working in the garden is that it gives me time to contemplate my life, to think, to make plans, to daydream while I'm pulling weeds and dead-heading plants.  I'm the happiest when I'm working at a task - even if it takes me forever to get to starting the task (I'm a procrastinator extraordinaire).  Amar and I have lots of plans for the garden this summer and I'm sure I'll have lots opportunity to think/contemplate/daydream while in the garden.

No comments: